Sunday, May 13, 2007

Day +5

Sorry that I have not posted recently. My wife and brother have been keeping up better on the CaringBridge site. Everyday something changes, but in general I have a bloated feeling of indigestion. One day I also had Premature Artial Contraction, which the heart Dr told me not to worry about. This morning I had shortness of breath and was given a chest xray. I have also gained at least 12 lbs, which must be in fluid so they have started more diuretic. So I am know tied to a minimum of three tubes and then have to jump up to get to the urinal. So far I had no diaherra but that have been some quick calls through all the tubes and power cords to get to the toilet.

The drugs are now to prevent or fight infections and to head off Guest vs Host Disease (GvHD), but they all cause nausea. So far I just had one bout of vomiting, which was lite after one bite of sugar cookie and some water. I lay in bed listen to the tv, radio or CD and then fall asleep, waking in the middle of something else. Hours run together and I sometimes am not sure which reality that I in.

The doctors are all reassuring and say I am experiencing what most other patients do and that I am doing very well. As my brother said recently (Psalms 23) "He makes me lie down... he leads me. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me." When I think out to all my support group, including all of you reading this, praying for me, nursing or doctoring or communicating , "Surely, goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joel, Thanks for the update. Sorry you are having to go through this, but am glad the doctors are reassuring. Am also glad you are finding comfort in that beautiful 23rd Psalm. Love and prayers, Marge and Donald

Anonymous said...

Our prayers are continuous... as one leaves off another picks up... amazing the way our Father has this all figured out! I love it when He puts you on my heart... and love the peace that comes as we pray. Sounds like you need to skip the sugar cookies and head straight for the chocolate!!

Anonymous said...

We are glad the doctors are giving reassuring statements. Hope things get better soon.
Ken Brandt

Anonymous said...

Greetings --

Please know how much you are in our hearts during this challenging journey. We think of you and your dear family often and send our prayers across the miles, riding on the fresh new hopes of spring. Love, Judy and Paul Eustace