Monday, May 21, 2007

BMT + 13

I had a pretty good night for sleeping last night, though up every hour to the bathroom and up at about 5 AM to write instructions for cleaning the house before I come home. Then about 8:30, I had my breakfast of 16 different pills. My planned breakfast came about the same time as the pills, but I needed to get the pills down first. I was still water logged and weighed in at my highest of 121 kg, almost 20 lbs more that when I checked in 3 weeks ago. The major concern now is my fluid retention versus the health of my kidneys. My creatine level is up to 1.52 so any diuretics were stopped over the weekend.

I was not able to eat much breakfast, needed to walk and excercise, but did not have the energy. The fluid retention was still restricting my lung capacity and breathing. I was just laying around, feeling sorry for myself, getting up for the bathroom when necessary. Then, my sister, my younger brother and my older brother (the donor) called is succession. Being just uplifted by their calls, an angel from physical therapy showed up to help me walk and exercise.

Since she was following the book, she offered me either a cane or walker, like waving a red flag in front of a bull. Previous times I have pushed the IV pole around, but didn't need to take that with us. Unencumbered, I took off while she followed with a back up wheelchair which I needed to use 3 times to catch my breath. I walked up and down 13 steps on the stairs with no problem, proving that my problem is oxygen input. The paper mask, which I need to wear, also restricts my breathing. We also whipped through some of the physical excercises with no problems.

In the previous writing, I skipped the fact that all my meds have been switched from IV to pill form and the nurse disconnected all IVs just before my physical therapy. I also received a diuretic about the same time, so have passed a lot of fluids today. I feel that I have passed the hurdle of fluid retention and may be able to go home in a few days. Food tastes better, especially the Ghirardelli chocolate and and Code Red Mt Dew that I had this evening. I am having 3 BMs a day so that end is working as well. My wife, son and I attended a central line maintenance class this afternoon after which I took a 2 hour nap which was te best sleep that I had since coming in 3 weeks ago. I expect more of the same this evening.

My labs show that my hemoglobin has been over 10 for the past week. My white cell count is back down to the 3000 range. My platelets are back over 100 so I am back on Lovenox, a blood thinner. The Lovenox is a precaution until the Drs determine whether the BMT solves my blood clotting problems. Tomorrow's labs, including creatine, will be interesting to see and will be a big factor in when I go home.

No comments: