Friday, May 18, 2007

BMT + 10

This is the 17th day since I checked in the hospital for related donor mini BMT. Doctors tell me that I am doing very well. My white cell count is up more to 3200 and my hemoglobin is at 10.3. My platelets are 53, still too low. I will get more platelets today. Certainly, the nausea, lack of energy will continue, especially after 4 therapy sessions planned for today.

Update 8pm - Around midday, just after the Dr parade passed through (and talked with Lavelle), I noticed numbness in my toes. I could hardly stand due to pain in my ankles which were swollen due to more fluid buildup. I have had more diuretics and am now wearing support hose, just like my mother needed in her later years. The therapy sessions are a help by improving my circulation. [A nurse told me about another potential solution that another male patient used. Picture the combination of Depends held up by suspenders.]

I feel great at the moment, just wondering what is next. Probably, hair loss? I have not figured out what this means for the long term, but will sure have much more sympathy for people in pain or the latter days of their life. Quoting Richard Bach, "Here's a test to find whether your mission on earth is finished: If you're alive, it isn't." Credit given to Kirk Weisler, Chief Morale Officer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an ordeal!

But I am glad they say things are going well.

Ken Brandt

Unknown said...

So... sounds like when people ask you "How are you today?" You'll have a smirk on your face when you say, "Depends...." LOL

Still praying... rest and grow strong... you're being cared for by the best.... Hugs to all!

Joyce said...

thanks for letting us know that you are improving - and growing (though it sounds rather if you'll be swimming in water soon internally.)

Lavelle has been passing along updates after he talks with you as well.

Take care.

Joyce