Thursday, February 09, 2006

Travel and clotting

On July 4th, I flew out to Boston and helped my daughter drive a Honda Civic with two cats back to MN. While we took three days, there were periods when I must have been too stationary, probably during a three-hour stretch through Chicago area in rush hour traffic. The day after I sensed increased shortness of breath. I went in for a CT scan and routine blood test. My Hb was 8.8 and my platelets had increased to a high of 690. Dr prescribed Hydroxyurea, 500mg per day, to reduce the platelets. The CT scan showed another blood clot in my left lung and I was admitted to the U hospital. Clot probably developed in my leg at moved up to the lung. My Hb had dropped to 7.7 after just 2 days on HU so I received another 2 units of blood. While in the hospital for 2 days, I also had an echocardiogram and ultrasound on my abdomen. My spleen, liver, kidneys and gallbladder all checked out OK. A few days later my INR had increased from an average of 3 to 6.7 and we started to measure Factor II, which was 15%. My coumadin prescription was increased twice a week to 7.5 mg per day with 5 mg for other 5 days. Target Factor II is now 20%.

No comments: