Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Hemogoblin returns

Yes, that's not a misprint. The ornery Hemogoblin has returned. My
blood test this morning showed that my hemoglobin level is down to
7.5 g/dL. It was 8.8 a week ago. I suspected as much today but
thought the same last week and was wrong. My platelets are also up
some from 338 to 397, but my white cells are down a bit from 17.2 to
15. Anyway, I am now scheduled for a transfusion on Thursday
afternoon. This should give the blood bank adequate time to find
blood for me. Last time, they could not assure 24 hrs turn-around so
we had delayed for 34 hours. Then, I just stayed home in between. I
have a full day of meetings tomorrow and then more on Thursday
morning, depending on my strength to even get to work. By Friday, I
should be refilled to attend a scheduled offsite seminar.

More on the good news. I reported Friday that my brother was a bone
marrow match, but then had more questions about the details. I
checked back with the BMT clinic yesterday and found out that he
actually matches 8 of the HLA factors. Typically, it is considered a
match with the main 6 factors that we inherit from our parents. The
Dr even feels the match might be better yet as they look at an
additional 4 factors. This all plays importantly into how my body
reacts to the donor blood stem cells after the transplant. I am sure
to learn more about this since the prednisone does not seem to be
helping the hemoglobin.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the update. Hope the transfusion goes well. Thank you, also, for the wonderful Christian witness in your previous blog entry. It was beautifully written and genuinely inspirational. We continue to remember you in our thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

This is a test message. I am trying to figure out how to comment as I am not very computer oriented. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just sent a test message and noticed the message that "Your comment has been saved and will be visible...etc.," so I will try to leave a "real" message. I hope your blood transfusion goes well. Also appreciated your previous entry about the Son Shining. That was a wonderful Christian witness and is also helpful to me in my own life. We continue to remember you in our thoughts and prayers.

Njerd said...

Thanks for the comments. You can always use Anonymous or Other as an identity. If you also have a blog on Blogspot, you can use your Blogger identity. I am currently moderating comments so I get an email message that you left a comment which I then approve. I have not figured out how to delete comments afterwards, but once I have, I may just let them be posted and clean up later if needed.