Friday, February 10, 2006

Canker sores and heart OK

As I mentioned before, I had experienced canker sores in my mouth since May 2004. Shortly after I started on Procrit, I also read about a link between dry mouth, SLS based toothpaste and canker sores. I switched to Biotene toothpaste and my canker sores cleared up. Maybe this was also connected to the Procrit as well.

Anyway after the blood transfusions in September, I also had over 3 months being transfusion free. During this time, my reticulocytes increased from 4% to over 12% indicating the Procrit was working. My Hb actually increased to almost 10 though my platelets crept up to 529. Unfortunately, the canker sores came back in December.

I also switched hematologists since my original one moved out east. The new Dr had me checked out completely by a cardiologist since the Anagrelide is known to cause heart problems as a side effect. My heart checked out fine.

No comments: