Sunday, February 05, 2006

Follow-up and referral

After several follow-up appointments while monitoring my Coumadin and INR levels, my hemoglobin was dropping further towards 10, but my platelet count improved to below 500. I was referred to a faculty hematologist at the University of Minnesota with appointment on January 18th. Another CT scan showed additional pulmonary embolism so I spent three days in the Fairview University hospital for additional heparin treatment and tests. I was switched to Lovenox heparin blood thinner and scheduled for a bone marrow biopsy (BMB) and colonoscopy in mid-February. During this time, an abscess was discovered on a front tooth and an old root canal was redone. During these days as the Lovenox was discontinued temporarily, I experienced another blood clot found by CT scan on February 28th. The results of the BMB showed 95% hypercellular activity in the bone marrow, which was producing maximum red blood cells, a sign of myeloproliferative disease (MPD). Problem was that these blood cells did not survive in the blood stream resulting in the anemia. It was a double-whammy with my oxygen intake affected by both the low hemoglobin (9 to 10) in my blood and the reduced blood flow through my lungs due to the multiple clots.

No comments: