Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Mayo Consultation

Being from Minnesota and with strong encouragement from my family, I arranged for a consultation with Mayo Clinic in Rochester. I was there twice in May of 2004; first to get the general blood, lung and heart tests. My hemoglobin (Hb) level was down to 8.8 on the first visit and 8.4 two weeks later. A lung function test indicated operation at only 53% due to both clots and anemia. An echocardiogram showed no evidence of pulmonary hypertension. I had a bone marrow biopsy and CT scan that confirmed the previous U of MN tests and my MPD unclassified diagnosis. The Mayo hematologist advised me to have my siblings tested for possible BMT. He also advised me to get my Hb tested the next week at my local clinic and also get my vaccinations updated. After comparing BMT programs between Mayo and the U of MN, I decided to stick with the U for further monitoring of my condition. Any BMT match was delayed in the meantime.

No comments: