Friday, February 10, 2006

Not so good new year

I started out the 2006 New Year with a hemoglobin level of 8.6, platelet up to 529, Factor II down to 14% and ferritin and blood pressure up as well. Within a week after feeling weaker, my Hb was down to 7.2 and I was admitted to the hospital for CT scan, another bone marrow biopsy and two more units of blood. This was my first transfusion in over 3 1/2 months and it took the blood bank 18 hours to match my blood type and acquired antigens. The CT scan showed no more clots and the BMB essentially was the same as last time in May 2004. Good news, bad news.

Two weeks later, I was back in for another blood transfusion when my Hb was 7.8. This time, somewhat due to confusion between the clinic and blood bank, I did not get blood for 34 hours and spent a day resting at home in between. Due to this change in transfusion dependence, I went through an orientation with the U of MN BMT Center and had my bone marrow typed. Also received instructions to get my two sisters and brother tested as well.

No comments: