Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Shingles

I saw the Dr today and reported that while I was feeling more energetic, I was also getting more aches and pains. My hgb was 10.1, down a little from the 10.6 last week, but no reason for more blood or IgG. Dr not sure if hgb improvement due to IgG or reduced Anagrelide, so will get blood checked every week. My platelets were up more to 655 today and Factor 2 was 35 so my Coumadin was increased a little to compensate.

My joints have been achy since I quit the Prednisone last week. My right knee is especially bad, sometimes too stiff to bend. It also was my life saver 18 months ago when I was supposed to have it replaced. The preop physical was when my anemia and shortness of breath was first noticed.

But the right side of my neck has been achy, numb and warm recently. I thought it was just more arthritis, but Dr thinks it may be shingles, herpes zoster. He also noticed some bumps that might be a start of the shingles blisters. He prescribed Acyclovir, 800 mg 5x per day, for the next week to try and knock it out. I hope it does, because I had shingles on one side of my back in the early 70's while in grad school. That was one of the most miserable experiences of my life.

Stay tuned for the next episode, hopefully not before next Tuesday's blood test.

3 comments:

Rev. Christopher Byars said...

Ouch! I hope it's not shingles either or they caught it before it is full blown. Take care!

In Christ,
Chris

Anonymous said...

Gosh, Joel. This reminds me of the suffering of Job.

Ken Brandt

Anonymous said...

Hope the acylovir can suppress an outbreak. It certainly helps me when I feel a cold sore coming on. I carry around a tube of it in my purse all the time. Hope it will help you, too.

Marge