Sunday, March 12, 2006

Drip, drip...

Still writing this from the hospital on Sunday, but looking to go home this afternoon. My first bag of ivIgG took 10 hours to go in and finished at 5 am this morning. I petitioned the Dr to send me home and have me come back on out-patient for the rest. But they still want to monitor me while they see how I react. So they started a second bag of 1800 ml at 10am and thought they could speed it up to finish in about 6 hours. The nurse has been increasing the speed periodically and it is now up to 300ml per hour. So I have now been here for about 58 hours watching the IV drip, drip, drip...

Looks like I missed the nice weekend and it may be snowing when we drive home this evening . Depending on how I feel, may have to shovel snow tomorrow morning and go to work . I will be back in every week for a blood check and will get more ivIgG when necessary. Nurse thinks this stuff cost $10,000 per bag so glad (hope) that the insurance is paying for it. At the current rate that is about 50 cents per drip.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the continued updates, Joel! 50k a bag, huh? Jeez - I'm in the wrong business!!! Hope you feel better and blessings as you return home. We're also praying for you mother-in-law as well.
In Him, Pastor Sean and family

Anonymous said...

I wonder what makes it so expensive. Oh, well, I'm just glad that we have it. Glad your insurance is paying for it (if it is). M.