Saturday, March 11, 2006

Immunoglobulin G

Well, I am still at the hospital and will be at least one more day. After 4 units of blood yesterday, my hgb only made it to 9.2. Last night, I had a slight fever and head ache. I still have a fever of 101. Latest idea is to give me intravenous immunoglobulin G (ivIgG). IgG is supposed to act as a decoy so that the immune system attacks it instead of the red blood cells. Will get some today and tomorrow and if I tolerate it ok, should get to go home tomorrow afternoon. I will need to get blood tests every week and then more blood and ivIgG probably in three weeks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update; sounds as though you have had a very challenging week. It is good that things seem to have settled down. It must have been quite an experience to watch your heart rate rise and fall on the monitor. I used to have PAT attacks alot and know what it is like to have one's heart jumping around in one's chest. Not very pleasant! Am glad you got through it okay. M.

Anonymous said...

Hi Joel
I can see you are really "going through the wringer." Hope the new medication works.
Ken Brandt