Friday, March 10, 2006

Emergency Room

Last night, I experienced some irregular and rapid heartbeats. Marilyn and Andrew took me to the emergency room at 12:30am where they wired me up and monitored me for a few hours. I witnessed an episode where my heartrate went from 88 beat per minute to 148 and back down in the space of a minute. I could sense it was happening and turned to see it on the monitor just in time.

My hemoglobin was also down to 5.9, the lowest that I have had. Since I was scheduled for a transfusion at 11:30am, they just checked me into the hospital and had blood flowing into me by 5:30am. After 2 units of blood, my hgb was up to 7.9. Since they had more blood typed for me, they gave me 2 more units which just finished. I expect my hgb will be up close to 10 which will be the highest in the past year. That will make it the lowest and highest all within the same day. They will monitor me over night and expect to let me go in the morning. No more rapid heartrate that I can sense, now that my hgb is back up. I should have all kinds of energy for the reat of the weekend, until the cycle starts all over.

This actually has been a blessing since it may get me on a cycle between 10 and 8 instead of between 9 and 7 ( or even lower). If the cycle is faster than every two weeks, it may be a factor in whether the BMT is warranted.

Keep looking up!

No comments: