Sunday, March 05, 2006

Lesson in this

The last ten days, since my last transfusion, have been pretty good. Last weekend, I went shopping at Home Depot, Sam's and the Northtown Mall, walking all around these large stores. I also ushered at church on Ash Wednesday and worked 42.5 hours. Friday, I even applied for a higher level manager job at work. Yesterday, after visiting my sister, I cleaned a portion of the basement, sorting through some of my old computer stuff, even carrying old computers and heavy monitors around. But then, I am pushing myself, trying to be positive about my situation.

During all of this, I can sense my blood hemoglobin dropping. I can do less and less before breathing hard and having to take a short break. My blood pressure and heart rate are also increasing again. Another blood transfusion may be necessary in the next week. I have my next doctor appointment on Wednesday when hopefully we will determine whether a BMT is the next step.

Everyday, I read the "Our Daily Bread" devotional through the internet. It always has something that seems to speak to my situation. Recently, it has had a link to a Discovery Series titled: "Joseph: Overcoming Life's Challenges". One section titled "The lessons of life" starts out:

"On the old Happy Days television show, Richie Cunningham had just been "grounded for life" by his father, Howard, for misbehavior. As they talked about it, Howard asked his son, "Did you know that there is a lesson in this for you?" Richie's response was priceless: "I figured anything with this much pain had to have a lesson in it somewhere." That is real life! We do not learn character in times of ease and prosperity but in times of difficulty. The greatest lessons of life are often the product of our most serious heartaches."

Later on, the author states "Everything happens in our lives for a reason, and a great part of that reason is to help us grow in our faith." My trials over the past several years have certainly strengthened mine.

Isaiah 40:31 but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this information with us, Joel. It is helpful to know exactly what to pray for.

Blessings, Pastor Sean

Anonymous said...

That is really a good thought about the greatest heartaches in life teaching us the greatest lessons. As I think about it, this has certainly been true and continues to be true in my own life. Appreciate the insight as it helps me put my own problems and issues in perspective. Love and prayers, Marge

Anonymous said...

To add to this, whenever Jesus met one-on-one with people, it was most often when they had a problem, like the man with leprosy, a man whose daughter had died, a man who was blind, man who is crippled, etc. He was more a Redeemer in these situations then when He was in the synagogue.