Friday, April 28, 2006

Positive results

The results of my blood tests yesterday show that my Hgb is up to 10.1, my platelets are down to 513 and my Factor 2 is 23%. All of this is positive. My Hgb was 9.7 last week just before my IgG IV so that may be taking effect. There are no changes in my medications this week, but I expect my Anagrelide will be reduced back to its original level when the platelets drop even lower. I am scheduled for another IgG IV next Thursday and every two weeks so hope to see Hgb going up some more.

It was an interesting visit with my doctor. He had a med student into observe and was explaining my medical history, demonstrating some of the checkup techniques, examining my color, listening to my heart, checking my spleen, etc. When the med student finally felt my spleen, after several trys, she was thrilled because this was her first.

The doctor also described my condition as a Coombs' positive auto-immune hemolytic anemia and then included my other complications. He also explained that my JAK2, analyzed by Mayo Clinic, was negative. He stated that my MPD was like ET (essential thrombocythemia) and downplayed the MDS that Mayo had highlighted a year ago. It is unclear whether a negative JAK2 is good or bad. I don't have that gene mutation, but then may not be able benefit from treatment that comes from further research related to it. Anyway, it was an interesting discussion between the doctor and the med student who could ask more intelligent questions that I could.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

PTL for the good report. Thanks for the new medical info. I will look up the website.