Monday, April 17, 2006

King's move

My schedule for the week changed this morning when I was able to get in for my blood transfusion. The MRI for my neck switched to Wed and the IgG IV to Thursday. I also have a dentist appointment on Thurs at 7am to make it four related medical appointments for the week, just like last week. A blood test before the transfusion this morning confirmed a drop in my Hgb to 7.9, but should be pushed back up to close to 10 by now. The increase in my anagrelide is helping to lower my platelets back to about 600, but also gives me a little heart pain, one of its side effects. Once it gets down below 400, I will return to my original level of anagrelide that was fine for six months.

With all this time spent away from work, I have arranged to telecommute from the hospital. Dr gave me a note saying that it was ok, both for my health and the day hospital, for me to work during my transfusions. I connected my laptop wirelessly through the U of MN network into our company network and telecommuted a couple of hours today. I would have done more, but the Benadryl they gave me with the transfusion made me sleepy. I came home afterwards and took a two hour nap.

So how does all this relate to the "King's move"? Yesterday, I made it to our church Easter service (before driving to Rochester to visit my mother-in-law and then stopping by my sister's place for dinner with my mother and other relatives). The pastor's sermon illustration was about a painting titled "Checkmate" that was on display in an art gallery. A master chess player examining the chess pieces noted that it was not a checkmate since "The king had another move". The pastor related this back to Moses at the Red Sea, Daniel in the lion's den, David facing Goliath and Christ dieing on the cross. In each case, the "King" had another move. In my case as well, I believe the King has many more moves to make and even when I face death, like we all will, he will have one more move. "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a positive thought. I hope the next "move" will be a better one.
Ken Brandt