Sunday, April 23, 2006

Amazing Grace

Most of us are familiar with the words of the song "Amazing Grace", written by John Newton in the late 1700's. Robert Schuller, Jr. used the story of John Newton as a sermon illustration this morning. After listening to Schuller, I did a Google search and learned more about John Newton and the song. It was interesting to learn that the song has been modified over the years and that the original words had a special meaning to me in these times. The last two "original" verses that I had not seen before are:

Yes, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease;
I shall possess, within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

The earth shall soon dissolve like snow,
The sun forbear to shine;
But God, who call’d me here below,
Will be forever mine.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are beautiful verses to "Amazing Grace" that I had not been aware of. Thanks for sharing them. Marge

Anonymous said...

God's Grace is so great there are never enough words or songs to explain it. John Newton had to eperience it before he could attempt to describe it.

Another great song "Grace grace; grace that is greater than all my sin.

Anonymous said...

Dear Joel,
I just read your updates from the past week. I was out of the office on Friday taking care of my granddaughters. They were with me from Thursday til Sunday.
It is good to hear how the Lord is fixing your eyes on Him. The words of the last verses of Amazing Grace are so comforting. It is good, too, that you've been able to telecommute from the hospital. May the Lord continue to be your joy and hope in the midst of so much uncertainty. He is faithful.
Love,
Charlotte

Anonymous said...

Those are comforting words. Thank you for sharing.

Ken Brandt