Saturday, June 25, 2011

Afib, Colitis & dehydration

I was scheduled for a clinic appt on June 14th, but had to go to the ER at 5am.  I woke up with more atrial fibrillation but by the time I made it to the ER, it had disappeared.  I was also having loose stools so they gave me fluids.  My clinic appt was postponed until the next day when the Dr said that that I had chemo induced colitis.  My white cell count was also low so I got shots of Neupogen.  I had a hard time sleeping since the Neupogen stimulates cell growth and pain in the bones.  I was into the clinic again on Thurs and Fri to get fluids and more Neupogen.  My white cell count recovered and on Monday when I went in again, I felt a lot better.

All this time they are using my new dual Power-port to take blood and give fluids.  On Monday, since I was in and out with just a blood test and no fluids, we forgot that I still had the IV lumen connected to the port.  It wasn't until about 3:30pm when I realized this tube hanging under my shirt.  Luckily, I was able to get back to the clinic before it closed to have the lumen removed so they could also flush the port with heparin.

This week, I have been feeling pretty good since my next chemo was delayed until Wed, June 29.  I see the Dr on Tues to check blood counts again and confirm the chemo appt. We will see what the next week brings.

No comments: