Tuesday, June 12, 2007

GvHD + 35

Sorry for the delay in posting but things have been pretty boring. Each day seems like the next, but today may be the start of a new phase. I have been tired recently, napping several times a day or falling asleep watching television. I now see the doctor about twice a week and am gradually reducing medication (now down to about 30 pills a day).

After a shower this morning, we discovered a rash on the inner side of my right thigh. Doctor also ordered a stool sample which I must deliver on Thursday. There has also been some talk about an endoscopy to check my digestive tract. I am still having problems with nausea and lack of appetite and have lost over 25 lbs from what I weighed before checking into the hospital on May 1.

It has been 35 days since the BMT and I am thankful that the new bone cells have engrafted and not all my hair has fallen out. Now it looks like the negative symptoms of GvHD have started.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joel,

Were praying hard for your recovery. My brother's healing process from his marrow transplant was very slow as well. Everyday seemed like the last day, but now 9 months removed, he's so much better! So, don't give up hope.

Blessings, Pastor Sean @ Redeemer

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the update. It must be tough dealing with all that you are dealing with, but you are doing nobly! Marge

Anonymous said...

What a struggle!

Ken

Joyce said...

Looking forward to hearing (and seeing) your first day in the big world again. You rock.

Joyce

Anonymous said...

Dear Uncle Joel,
We continue to pray for you. I think I missed something. Is GvHD, something about the host rejecting the bone marrow or is it something different? Please explain GvHD.
We love you always. I just found a letter you wrote to your mother from Houghton when you went to college. I found it in the little end table that Daddy brought back to me from Grama's house. I couldn't help myself. I read most of it. It was long :)
Well, you are a great writer. It will probably be your second career! It was a treasure that you mother Barbara (Grama G) hid it there for save keeping! Now almost 40 years later we get to read it.
I'll be putting it in the mail to you soon. Watch for it.
Love, Lori Younker