Monday, June 04, 2007

100% Donor cells

The results of my bone marrow biopsy shows 100% total donor engraftment. The doctor even seemed surprised when he pulled up the results on the computer this morning. This means that my brother's stem cells have taken over and eliminated my old defective bone cells. My hemoglobin reached a high of 11.9 and platelets have increased from 51 to 79 in the last 6 days, more evidence of the new cells. On the negative side my magnesium was down so I needed an infusion today and my creatinine is up to 1.68.

The challenge now is to manage all of the medicines to prevent GvHD (Graft versus Host Disease) as well as getting my normal digestive functions back in order. My weight was 235 lbs fully clothed this morning versus about 248 on check in to the hospital and 266 with the fluid retention and hospital gown. With all the pills and diminished taste and saliva, I still cannot eat normally and feel nauseated most of the time.

But isn't God great! He guided me through the valley of the shadow of death and will continue to heal the rest of my body.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We rejoice with all of you Joel! What an answer to prayer. The journey goes forward with definite evidence that everything is working to the glory of God. You remain in our prayers. Certainly hope your appetite returns soon.
Love, Becky, Emily, and Jenny

Unknown said...

Thank you Jesus!!!! He is SOOOOO amazing!!! He is not done with His work in you..... can't wait for more good news!!!! Blessings on you!!

Anonymous said...

That's wonderful news Joel. I bet you're all celebrating and the weight on your shoulders awaiting the outcome of the BMT has been lifted. Hope progress continues as postively as it has.

Karen H.

Anonymous said...

That is great news! We are very happy to hear this, and it must be a great burden lifted. Marge

Anonymous said...

That is great news, and a great burden lifted! Much credit goes to you and your brother for "walking the walk" to get to this point. marge

Anonymous said...

We rejoice with all of you Joel. What a tremendous answer to prayer. God has definitely bestowed his blessings on you. We will continue to pray for continued healing and No Graft versus Host disease and for your medications to be balanced;and for your appetite to return.

Love, Lola & Don

Anonymous said...

Wonderful news!
Ken Brandt