Saturday, July 08, 2006

Well with my soul

Marilyn and I are at the lake cabin. The moon is just rising in the East even as the sun is setting in the West. It is almost full and looks like it will be a clear evening to enjoy it reflecting off of Grace Lake. It has been a beautiful though hot day, close to 90 degrees, but will be back down to about 60 over night.

We have Anna's old iBook laptop with all kinds of music, video and podcasts stored in iTunes. One podcast from the Speaking of Faith public radio show caught my eye. I fired it up and we both were truly blessed. It was a interview with the late singer and educator Joe Carter, an expert on the African American Spiritual. He explains the origin of the spirituals and sings many of them.

He tells a story about Elijah and a woman who's son had died. When he asked her "How is it with thee?", she answered, "It is well with my soul!" He said that this is typical of especially older people who really have faith. This reminded me of my mother, though with all that she has been through in the last couple of weeks, does not complain. She sets a good example for me, reminding me that all that matters is the condition of my soul.

If you wish to listen to this podcast, you can download it to your PC at the Speaking of Faith web site. You can also listen to his music directly on line.

No comments: