Sunday, July 23, 2006

Fish Biting - Clouds

Andrew and I have been at the cabin on Grace Lake near Bemidji since Friday night. Planned to go back home on Monday, but may be tempted to stay a while. Temperature was near 80 yesterday and made it to about 87 today in the shade. I took the thermometer down to the lake where the water temp was at least 79 and the temp in the sun was close to 100.

The fish were biting, but I was not fishing. I think the crappies and sun fish in the lake have been cross-bred with pirrahna. When I walk into the lake, they swarm around me. If I stand still they try to nibble on my lake shoes, swim trunks and a dark growth on my shin. When I float in the inner tube, they try to bite the moles on my back. If I float on my front, they will "nibble my nipples". They are pestier than any of the flys. Thankfully, I have not seen a mosquito. Must be too dry.

We have a rubber raft that works ok to put something between my body and the fish, but it was too windy today. I quickly became winded trying to paddle against the wind just to stay in front of the cabin. Then I thought of a solution. We have springy steel and wicker style recliner. When on the porch, it springs back so far, it is almost impossible to get out of. But when placed in about a foot of lake water, it works beautifully. The waves cause it to bob up and down, scaring away the fish and continously splashing water to keep me cool. I placed it under the white birches that overhang the lake and provide shade.

So where do the clouds come in? While cooling off in the lake, I looked up to the heavens and saw several types of clouds. Low in the sky were the cumulus clouds which seem to be constantly changing and could develop into cumulonimbus storm clouds. Just like troubles in our lives, these tend to block out the sun for a while and may develop into bigger storms. But high in the sky were some cirrus clouds at 20,000 feet or higher. These wispy clouds generally occur in fair weather and appear to me as angel's wings, showing God's grace and protection above all of my troubles. Also when next to the lake and when driving here through some wide open farm country, I could see the clouds for miles. There may be a cloud above my head blocking the sun, but not too far away, I can see the sunshine. Quite a change in weather from my "Son Shine" post of Feb 19.

No comments: