Friday, May 26, 2006

Detours

While I had planned to travel to my childhood home in Michigan this weekend, I have decided to stay here in Minneapolis. Last night, I attended a 3 1/2 hour high school band and choir concert including an awards ceremony and ice cream social. While seated in the cramped auditorium seat, I felt a few pains in my legs. Later at home I felt a little pain in my chest. During the night, I woke up with terrible cramps in my legs. After a trip back from Boston last year, I felt the same way and another blood clot was discovered in my lung. While I don't feel too bad at the moment, I decided it was best to avoid driving 7-8 hours and stay near my medical support.

There is a lot happening around here this weekend as well. I will miss the fellowship with my mother and siblings, but will enjoy being with my wife, son, daughter and friends. Besides, it is our 35th wedding anniversary on Monday.

While sitting here, watching the TV and cruising the internet, I happened upon a page of the Urban Network Gospel News where there was a clip playing of Bishops Joel Trout's sermon titled "Detours". You can listen to this sermon plus others here.

No matter how you plan your trip through life, you have to take the detours. What seems like a detour for you is God's planned route for your life. It is in the detours that you find God.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I admire your sense of humor and your positive attitude.

Ken Brandt

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear about the leg cramps. You continue to be in our thoughts and prayers. Marge Harter