Monday, March 10, 2008

Regression

It has been a rough week and a long day. I have reported my aches/pains and digestive problems in the previous post. I saw my BMT Dr this morning after waiting around for 2 1/2 hours. It took a total of 4 1/2 hrs of my day. All the while I was in pain with my right leg, knee and back: could hardly walk. Anyway, the Dr feels that since I had stopped taking prednisone that the GvHD has come back, attacking at least my joints and musculature. I was also able to leave a stool sample so they will test whether the GvHD of the gut is back as well. Either way, I am back on a high dose of prednisone and start a taper again, probably never getting off completely. Most GvHD patients end up on a low maintenance dose. The important point is that the Dr checked the "regressed" box and put "unknown" in the return to work date field on the form that we sent into the disability insurance company.

On a positive note my blood counts are all OK or improving. Platelets are now up to 107 though the normal range starts at 150. My INR was 5.4 but Dr feels it was affected by the Levaquin antibiotic that I have been taking. Target INR is still 1.5 to 2.o. So far I have not seen any blood leaking out anywhere since it is too thin. I will have my INR checked locally on Wed and then see the Dr again on Friday.

Remember that GvHD is essentially the new transplanted stem cells (immune system) fighting the old body. Seems like there may be a sermon illustration in that statement. My late brother-in-law once gave a sermon titled "The Old and New Nature". The sermon was based on Ephesians 4:22-23, “Put off your old nature which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful lusts ….. and put on the new nature, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness.” Send me a personal email or leave a comment if you are interested in the complete sermon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry that some of the old issues seem to be coming back. You are coping with it with very commendable courage and faith. Hope things get better soon. Marge

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry that you are in pain and not feeling well, Joel. We are thinking of you and praying for you, and hoping you will feel better soon!
Bev