Sunday, March 23, 2008

Horton Hears a Who

On a whim last night, my son (home from college) and I saw a movie based on the Dr. Seuss book, "Horton Hears a Who". We went just to be entertained by this animated film, but came away talking about what meaning might be made from the script. In the movie, Horton, an elephant, discovers very small people living on a speck on a clover flower. He hears the very small voice of the Mayor of Whoville, but cannot see the residents. He carries the flower around the jungle, telling the other animals, but no one else believes him. As he rumbles around, he causes all kinds of problems (earthquakes, high winds, darkness) on the flower and in Whoville. The mayor likewise tells his town about talking with Horton, but again no one believes. They experience the effects of Horton, but don't hear him or believe that he exists.

Anyway, we thought there was symbolism in the movie about faith in God as well as listening to hear what God has to say. This morning, I woke up thinking more about this, reminding me of a CD that one of our church "Angels" gave me when I was in the hospital last May for my BMT. The CD is named "Be Still and Know [that I am God]" by Maranatha Music. As I listened again to the CD, it gave me great peace to know that He is in control. He will deliver us from all our troubles.

When I got up, I did a search on Google and found a number of different "theological" interpretations of this movie and other related Dr. Seuss books. Some relate to abortion where the little Whoville people are the unborn that are not recognized by the animals of the jungle.

Happy Easter! He is Risen!

2 comments:

Joyce said...

Neat! Joyce

Anonymous said...

it makes sense that godly truth should be best expressed through children's books, in light of what Jesus said about becoming like children... Shel Silverstein's another author that hides a lot of meaning in simple children's books