Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Back on track

The return to using prednisone has really helped me over the past week. Actually within one day, most of my pains disappeared. I went from 5 mg prednisone every other day, a week with nothing and then back up to 80 mg every day. This week, I have reduced that to 60 mg per day and will taper more again in the following weeks. I have noticed that my digestion is not normal and a lot of foods that I eat seem to go right on through. I am hungry and eating way too much but not gaining weight. I actually lost 5 lbs during that one week where it was hard for me to even chew.

The last couple of days, I have been developing a pain in my left hip and leg. It was so bad this morning that I needed to have my son put the sock on my left foot. I could not lift my foot up to my knee without twisting my hip and getting a sharp jolt. The thought is that this is also a result of GvHD.

I will be interested in what my INR is when I get it checked tomorrow. It was so high last week that I did not take warfarin for 5 days. I have noticed some bruising so some blood IS leaking out.

On a positive front, I saw my eye Dr this morning and got a clean bill of health. I go in every 6 months now to avoid any complications from GvHD in my eyes. My eyes are a little dry so I use eye drops, but they are clear and my eyesight is not changing.

I have resigned myself to being out from work for another couple of months until we see where this is leading. We may need to try some more medications and address the iron build-up as well.

No comments: