Thursday, November 01, 2007

Looking up

I was surprised on Tuesday when my blood test showed that my hemoglobin was up to 11.4 from 10.4 last week. It had just been 2 weeks since it was 8.4 and I had a blood transfusion. Going in, I was feeling somewhat dizzy and tired, but surmised I may have been low on fluids and am trying to drink more. On the down side, my white cell count dropped from 1.6 to 1.4 and platelets from 88 to 64. Both are about half of normal though my Hgb is also still below normal as well. The Dr took me off of Acyclovir and Bactrim DS and reduced the prednisone to 40 mg every day.

I have my 6 month bone marrow biopsy on the 7th and the next Dr appt on the 13th. Hopefully, we will then know more details of how the engraftment is progressing. I had blood drawn for a Cytomegalovirus (CMV) test as well.

Other than that, I am feeling pretty good and getting things done around the house. I was also approved for Social Security Disability (SSD), though that payment will go to Aetna insurance to offset my long-term disability payments which are now being coming through. It is rare that anyone is approved for SSD on the first application and it normally takes 2-3 months for a response. I must have impressed them with my medical history.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry about setbacks.

But I am glad the LTD and the SSD are in place.

Ken Brandt

Joyce said...

Good to know you're still here. I'll keep watching for your words.