Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Diapers

Things change quickly. At my Dr appt last Tuesday, I had good news about my bone marrow and hemoglobin. Then on Wed, I developed diarrhea. On three occasions before Monday, I didn't make to the toilet in time and had a mess to clean up. I called the BMT clinic on Monday and arranged for an appt at 1pm. Since I was running to the bathroom every 1 to 2 hours, I had to pick up some Depends at the local Walgreens and wear my first 'diaper' in over 55 years. Then at the clinic, the diarrhea held off for 4 hours though I was able to get the lab a stool sample before I left. When I got home the original 1 - 2 hour cycle started again. Seems like it might be easing off some today.

The Dr is concerned that the Graft versus Host Disease (GvHD) may be returning. That was diagnosed in July after I had lost over 50 lbs. I had some diarrhea back then but nothing comparable to this. I have a colonoscopy scheduled for Wed afternoon and have changed some of my medications. Now, I am essentially fasting and need to take 3 different laxatives and get an IV before the colonscopy. I still have an appetite and am looking forward to Thanksgiving dinner.

On the good side, my hemoglobin is still at 13.6 and my platelet and white cell counts are improving. The white cell count was 4.6 (in the normal range), but may have been responding to whatever is causing the diarrhea. Either way that is good since it is responding correctly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I admire how you "hang in there."

Ken Brandt

Anonymous said...

We hope it is a flu bug ather than something more serious.We keep praying