Tuesday, November 13, 2007

5000 Served

Great news today. I found out that my bone marrow is now 87.6 % from my donor (brother), a big change from the estimate of only 30 % last month. This latest is direct from the biopsy that I had last week, while last month, it was from a blood test. It is possible that the blood test reflected destruction of cells by my old immune system. Anyway, it appears that the problem may be resolved since my hemoglobin was 13.6 today. This is a new high and actually in the normal range of 13.3 to 17.7 g/dL. Unfortunately, my white cell and platelet counts are still very low and I need to be cautious of infections and injuries. Every little bump now causes bruises.

Relative to this blog title, the BMT clinic was having a celebration today of having performed 5000 bone/stem cell transplants since they started with the (world's) first in 1968. I got some cake and a tee-shirt that says "What's in your marrow?" on the front.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank the Lord for the good news.

Anonymous said...

That is great news about the bone marrow percentage change! Must have been a festive party, too. Marge

Joyce said...

Sounds great! You've marvels to be thankful for.

Joyce