Tuesday, July 31, 2007

GvHD + 84

Only 9 days since last posting so doing better with only 4 appointments to report. Still battling potassium and creatinine levels in my blood, indicating possible kidney problems. So I get IV fluids on each visit and need to keep drinking more water. There have also been more adjustments of medicines to help out. The prednisone is helping my appetite, but I still don't have my taste buds back. I have lost a few more lbs so my gut is probably not absorbing enough yet as well.

As part of the GvHD treatment, I am participating with a Fred Hutchinson Research Study where I either get MMF or a placebo along with the normal treatment. This is another 8 pills a day, though they could be what I took during the engraftment phase. This study could last up to two years and is meant to determine whether MMF helps in the GvHD phase. Note that the study is not listed at the web site so may be closed to participating research groups.

Not sure when I will be back to work. Earliest may be 2 months due to immunity problems and need to stay relatively isolated from people. Otherwise, I am feeling much better and getting things done around the house.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you are feeling better and getting things done around the house. That is great news! Marge

Anonymous said...

How nice it is to get positive news. Hope you continue to feel better.

I heard very good things about the "Hutch" when I lived in Seattle. Glad you are participating in their study.

Ken Brandt

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you are feeling better -- that is great news!

Bev

Joyce said...

It's great to know you're looking up! Even looking towards returning here (now that you've missed the humidity and the turning down of the air conditioning.)



Joyce