Friday, July 06, 2007

Day + 59

What a difference a few days make since I have been feeling much better since Tuesday. This was somewhat tempered by getting up early this morning and having both a sigmoidoscopy and another bone marrow biopsy. I still have little appetite but diarrhea and dry mouth have let up.

The initial sigmoid test was negative for GvHD though samples were taken to be analyzed. Other tests of stool, urine and blood culture have also been negative. Blood counts are ok except for the hemoglobin which keeps dropping. I am also now taking eye drops for dry eyes.

The bone marrow biopsy went very well this morning, taking 1/2 the time of the last. The difference was experience of who did it and use of a bigger (8 gauge) needle. I have my next Dr appt next Tuesday when I will learn more from the biopsies that I had today.

GvHD, in answer to Lori's question on the June 12 post, is basically when the new donor white blood cells attack rapidly growing host cells. This is beneficial when the the attacked cells are remnants of previous cancers (tumors). It it not pleasant and can be life threatening if the cells are GI tract, lungs or liver. Skin or eye GvHD can also occur.

For Joyce, my top rating on fireworks, viewed on a 46" HD TV, is for Boston. Of course, the only other one I watched was New York. NY was 30 minutes long and seemed to be launched from a broader location. Boston was only 20 minutes and seemed more concentrated. Both were choreographed to music, but you can't beat the Boston Pops Orchestra for smooth medley transitions. I especially liked the Sesame Street song synched with fireworks in the shape of a toy block or the numbers 2 and 3. NY synched those with "Take me out to the ball game". Over all, I would have much rather been with my son and daughter in Bemidji, watching their fireworks from the beach.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am glad the tests continue to be negative.

Ken Brandt