Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Transfusion #40

After a little torture, I had my 40th transfusion and 81st unit of RBCs today. Seems like my veins are starting to hide or becoming scarred so it is getting harder to get needles in. It took 4 trys yesterday to get the blood sample and 3 today to start the transfusion. The day hospital was also busy and short staffed so it took me 2 1/2 hours yesterday and 7 1/2 hours today away from work. I had my MacBook Pro with me today so got some work done of my report that I would like to turn in tomorrow.

My Hgb dropped rapidly since last Wednesday when it was 9.8. It was down to 8.0 yesterday, so dropped 1.8 points in 5 days. It was probably 7.8 or less today and I was really dragging. This is the lowest it has been since last April 17 when it was 7.9. Interestingly, that was also over an Easter weekend, remembering the blood that Christ shed for me. Over the past year, we have attempted to keep my hgb above 9.0, allowing me to work a full 40 hours per week.

I am heading to Scottsdale, AZ on Thursday for the COFES conference and will be back on Sunday. Next week I need to wrap up everything I am working on just as if I will not return to work. I will make it back into the office for a few hours the following week if only to pick up my expense check for the AZ trip.

Countdown is 13 days to start of tests, 20 days to check into the hospital and 27 days to the actual BMT.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our prayers are with you.
I saw my new doctor yesterday, and I have a clear bill of health.
So everything is "Go" from this end.

Anonymous said...

You are in our thoughts and prayers as this time draws closer! Glad you enjoyed the conference -- We are all thinking of you and supporting you!
BJB and Family

Anonymous said...

I admire your courage and steadfast faith as you prepare for your BMT. You are choosing life and I find that inspiring. I was reading James this AM and verse 1:12 made me think of you. Please read it. My family is praying for your successful procedure and I look forward to working PDM stuff with you in the future!