Monday, December 11, 2006

BMB Experience

Even though I have had a Bone Marrow Biopsy (BMB) three times before, the one this morning was a different experience. I had my first in March, 2005, at the Masonic Day Hospital, the same place as today. My wife came with and drove me home afterwards since I had some sedative prior to the procedure. Today, I did not have a sedative since I was driving myself. My second BMB was in May, 2005, at Mayo Clinic where I had no sedative but don't remember a lot of pain. I drove back home afterwards. My third was while in Fairview Hospital in January for other tests as well. I must have had a sedative at that time as well, even though I didn't go anywhere afterwards. Next time I think I will have a sedative.

Some things may be changing with my bones as well since it took four attempts to get the bone marrow sample this morning. Though I did not have sedative, I did have some local Lidocaine to numb the tissue in the test area. The local anesthetic does not numb the interior of the bone. The first attempt hit upon scar tissue or hard bone that the tool could not penetrate easily. (A bone marrow biopsy uses a special tool that twists into the bone. You may feel pressure at the site and hear a crunching sound as the tool twists into the bone.) The second and third attempts hit soft marrow that crushed easily and did not provide a good sample. These two attempts were the most painful, once making pain shoot down my left leg. The fourth attempt was good retrieving a sample about 2 cm long and about 3 mm in diameter. Four samples of aspirate were also sucked from the bone marrow, about 10 ml total volume.

Even though I had three or four holes drilled in my hip bone, there was little pain afterwards and I drove back to work. But after a couple of hours at work, I decided to go home to my recliner since sitting in my desk chair was somewhat uncomfortable. A couple of Tylenol helped as well.

I also had a blood test this morning. While my hemoglobin was 10.2 last Tuesday, it was only 8.2 this morning, the biggest drop in six days that I have had. Maybe the bigger difference is error in the tests or variations by different lab technicians. I will get the results of the BMB and will have another transfusion on Wednesday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry it hurt so bad!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you are pretty tough Uncle Joel. I never do bone biopsies on anyone without using a lot of sedation since they can be so painful. You are in our prayers.
Love,
Mark