Thursday, June 22, 2006

Rituxan & Purgatory

I had my first Rituxan IV treatment on Wednesday, starting early at about 8 am and finishing about 1 pm. They took it slower this first time and indicate it will speeded up next time. They started earlier than originally scheduled since they wanted more time to observe me, but observed me less than I normally get during a blood transfusion. The nurse took my blood pressure before starting, but that was all for the duration of the treatment. No temperature or any other follow-up. During a blood transfusion, my vitals are checked at least three times for each unit of blood. Actually, I was in a chemotherapy room with at least 12 patients and about 4 nurses. Observation was probably visual while asking me frequently if everything was OK. After the initial introduction of Rituxan, there is probably less risk of reaction than with blood from different people each time.

Before the IV, I also had my weekly blood test. My platelets were 503 and white cells were 4.4, both improvements since last week. My Hgb has dropped some more to 9.6, probably indicating another transfusion will be needed next week.

On a sad note, I attended the funeral of a co-worker that died of lung cancer last Sunday. He was 62 last Thursday, had worked for our company for 39 years and was taking early retirement at the end of this month. Over the past year, my office was close to his and we talked at least once a week, though his work time was very sparse since the first of the year. We often reminisced about the all the changes in computer technology over the years.

He had not been to work for three months and I had last called him at home almost two months ago. Thinking back, I wish I had been a better witness to him though I did direct him to this blog. He had a Catholic funeral mass this morning with very good attendance. Very little eulogy by the priest and an emphasis on baptism and communion as guarantee of eternal life. Made me remember childhood arguments with our Catholic neighbors about Purgatory though there was no mention of that at the funeral today. I am just thankful to be saved by the grace of God through Christ’s death and resurrection without needing to depend on others to speed my passage through the torment of purgatory.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Uncle Joel
I have been thinking a lot about you lately and praying a lot for you. I hope that you are not experiencing much pain.
Sonya