Sunday, June 07, 2009

Rotavirus Continues

It is now Sunday morning and 5 days since I was admitted to the hospital for dehydration from diarrhea last Monday night. Drs say that there is still traces of the Rotavirus in my stools which are still very soft, but not very frequent. They also say that my intestinal mucosa needs to heal so I am on a NPO diet (Nil Per Os - Latin: Nothing by Mouth), no food or water except to swallow my pills. They pump 250ml of IV into me each hour and I run to the bathroom almost hourly to pee it out. Seems like a never ending cycle similar to what came first, the chicken or the egg. My weight is back to almost what it was before all this started so actually the benefit of the IVs is for me to filter out the 5% Dextrose for nutrition.

I feel fine and my blood counts and blood pressure are back to normal as well. I took two walks around the 4th floor yesterday. Maybe I will go to other floors or try to make an escape later today. Currently looks like I won't go home until Tuesday because they want to see how I react to a limited diet for a few days first. I will post at least a short status report each day. If nothing else, it is something to do to cut the monotony of this place.

This morning I watched a TV church show where the sermon was about Jonah and the whale, Made me wonder what the "reason for my affliction" is. There is something symbolic at least about being "in the belly" of the whale, but three days have come and past; I am still here. I need to ponder this some more and pray that I will be "vomited out upon dry land". (KJV version of Jonah 1 & 2 is quoted.)

No comments: