Monday, June 08, 2009

Liquid Diet

Never thought I would be glad to be on a clear liquid diet, but it is a big step up from the NPO. I had chicken broth, jello, flavored ice and apple juice a few hours ago. Drs will see how this goes today and maybe I can upgrade to a full liquid diet tomorrow. Then I can have a few soups, cream of "cereals", puddings, yogurt, etc. The IVs was turned down to 20 ml/hr last night, but I still had to get up every 90 minutes during the night. I must still be saturated. On a positive note, my kidneys are certainly working efficiently. During the day, the IV rate is turned back up to 250 ml/hr.

I have been on some medicine named Carimune, which is taken orally to get right to the source of my problem. The drug company does not show an oral version so I asked my Dr if this was experimental. It is a common variation that the pharmacist mixes up. Cost is $500 for 7.5 oz dose. At four doses per day over 3 days, the total cost is $6000. Certainly glad I have insurance.

I took several walks yesterday, one with my wife and one all by myself. I went down to the ground floor and played the piano near the back waiting room for 30 minutes. The piano was a little out of tune and I am a little rusty. Luckily, there were few people around. I don't think I will try that today with all the people around.

I spend most of the day on my iBook laptop with one eye on the TV. I have been watching the Food Network, building up my appetite for a trip to Famous Dave's for BBQ and beans

Thought now is I will be here for a few more days until the loose stools clear up completely and I can survive without IVs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is too bad you have to stay in the hospital so long. Hope you can go home soon and can eat a normal diet.
Our prayers are with you.
Brother Jim