Wednesday, December 10, 2008

More GvHD

Just as I had about tapered off of prednisone, GvHD hit me again. I was on 2.5 mg every other day with a plan to drop off completely this week. But over the last month, I gradually started to feel more fatigue, nausea, loss of appetite, cramps, joint aches and breathlessness. I scheduled a Dr appointment for Monday where I discovered my Hemoglobin (Hgb) was down to 11.9 the lowest it has been for 14 months. Good news was that my platelets are up to 144, the highest it has been since my BMT 19 months ago. Before then my problems were too high platelets and too low Hgb. Normal range for platelets is 150-300 so that is not a problem now.

I also had a range of other tests: chest x-ray (ok), EKG (?), echo cardiogram (?), nose swab (?) and stool sample (ok). There was blood in my urine indicating hemolysis of my red blood cells and subsequent low Hgb. I saw the Dr again today and more blood tests were taken. I see him again on Tuesday. I wasn't supposed to see him for another month, but that was not to be.

In the meantime, I am back up on prednisone to 60 mg every day. After all the sleep I have been getting (13 hrs of last 24), I expect I will now be up until the wee hours of the morning. High doses of prednisone are known to do that until I run out of gas and crash.

Though I am anxious to get back to work, the last several weeks have shown that I was not ready. The Dr has indicated that we will review that possibility in May next year. By then, there may not be any jobs available though now I get at least one call a week.

As inspiration in this time of trouble, I was listening to CD titled "Be Still and Know" (Maranatha Music) which an 'angel' from our church gave me while I was in the hospital after my BMT. The CD has a track "My Beloved" which is narrated with a deep male voice symbolizing God. It goes "Our relationship is based on my faithfulness. Your faith may wax and wane, but my faithfulness endures forever. I will never let you go. So put your trust in me. In every situation remember these words. 'Don't be afraid! Just believe.' I know the plans I have for you. Plans to prosper you, not to harm you. Plans to give you hope in the future. But this will only happen if you put your hope in me, and live according to my word. Don't be afraid, just believe. That is your responsibility in our relationship. Believe that my love for you is unfailing. Believe and trust in my goodness. And when you get discouraged, quickly turn to me. Call out to me for help and I will deliver you from trouble. My faithfulness will be your shield and your fortress. I will fill you with joy and peace as you trust in me. So that you will overflow with hope by the power of my spirit. So don't be afraid! Just believe. ... When you hope in me, you will not be disappointed. ... Don't be afraid, just believe."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad the doctors seem to be dealing with this. Hope things can get under control again.
Ken Brandt

Bev said...

Joel, you are in our thoughts and prayers and we certainly hope you feel better soon!
Bev, Bob, Steve, and Liz