Monday, December 22, 2008

Code Brown

I am writing this from the hospital where I was admitted early Saturday, December 20th.  This is titled "Code Brown" for the term they use here for diarrhea patients.  I had three bouts with it at home before my wife called the ambulance at 6am.  It continued every 1/2 hour until about 11am when they put in an anal catheter to catch the fluids into a bag.  I had good relief from all the mess until it started to back up in about 24 hrs.  Then I started wearing disposable diapers and now 50 hrs later it has just about cleared up.

Last week, I had three Dr appointments, many blood tests, an ultrasound of my abdomen and a complete torso CT scan.  I had to drink a barium solution with the CT scan and had diarrhea from the solution before and after the scan,

The current focus of study is of my liver, possibly complications of the iron buildup.  I may have to have a liver biopsy to check for cirrhosis.  My liver functions (blood test) are out of range.  I still have a lot of fluid buildup in my abdomen and around my lungs making it a little difficult to breath.

Since I started writing this about 4 hours ago, I have seen at least 3 more Drs.  Current thought is that I will go home after lunch and followup with some more out-patient tests tomorrow and see the Dr on Friday.  I will post here at least once more this week and more if anything develops.

Well, it looks like I will be home for Christmas anyway.  Remember the meaning of of Christmas and keep Christ in it.

Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you are feeling better and that you will be home for Christmas. Sorry to hear about all of those tests and hope they won't be too bad. MBH