Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Home again

I am home again and feeling somewhat better. My daughter had to pick me up at the hospital yesterday because my wife was heading to another emergency room to meet my son arriving with similar diarrhea problems. Not sure if we had some of the same bug or something, but he has recovered a lot faster than me. I still have loose stools, but can comfortably make it to the bathroom without messing up. I also ate a 6 inch Subway sandwich this evening so my appetite is back. I am still retaining fluid but on LASIX (furosemide) which seems to be helping. I am also taking Levaquin as an antibiotic to counter any bacterial infection that I might have.

It does not look like I will have a liver biopsy, but will have a number of other tests over the next three weeks. The main ones are an MRCP, an MRV, an EGD and extended 24 hr stool sample. The MRCP (Magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography) is an MRI to visualise the biliary and pancreatic ducts and should tell us more about the functioning of the liver and pancreas. An MRV (Magnetic Resonance Venogram) is an MRI of liver and other abdomen veins. The EGD (Esophagogastroduodenoscopy) will check for esophageal varicose veins and take biopsies to check for GvHD in my upper GI track. The EGD will not happen until January 13th and is the one I feel will be most unpleasant but may mean the most. The MRCP and MRV are on December 30.

I will back in the BMT Clinic on Friday (26th) with the stool sample and another blood test. If anything changes then I will post, otherwise it will probably be next year before I report again.

Remember "the reason for the season" is Christ. Keep him in Christmas and have a Happy New Year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you are home. Hope the tests go well.

Ken Brandt

Anonymous said...

We are so happy that you are home for Christmas, Joel -- You are in our thoughts and prayers, and we are wishing you all the best!
Love, Bev, Bob, Steve, and Liz