Saturday, August 18, 2007

BMT + 100 days

Actually my 100th day since the bone marrow transplant passed a few days ago, so I have made it pretty far since entering the hospital on May 1. I had my 9th bone marrow biopsy on Thursday when they tried some new needles which seemed to work better. My biggest problem with the biopsy is lying in a cramped position which affects my arthritic knees. The quicker it goes, the better. I get some results back on Tuesday but don't expect any surprises.

I am feeling much better the last couple of weeks and am starting to get out. Did some shopping for a car battery and carpet for our washroom. Dr says I can stop using the mask and go to church on Sunday. Hope to see some of you there. We also plan to take a trip to the cabin in Bemidji next week. This will be the first time for me since Andrew and I were there in April and saw the ice go out. All of my care givers go back to teaching or attending school in a couple of weeks, but I am getting pretty independent and now driving as well.

While I am proceeding with applications for long-term disability and social security, I may be back to work before mid-October. Still need to taper medications and see how I react to the changes plus build up my endurance. A short trip out shopping or working around the house still tires me out. Still need approval from the Dr before going back to work

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greetings -

Thrilled to hear that you are getting out some and feeling stronger! It must be a joy to do a daily task that so many of us take for granted. Here's to getting to the lake and enjoying the beautiful view!
Love, Judy and Paul Eustace

Anonymous said...

We are so happy to hear that you are feeling better! It was so nice that you could go to church with the family, do some driving and things around the house, and get up to the lake! We are so happy and thankful, and hope that you have a wonderful time at the lake!

Anonymous said...

I meant to mention that the last "Anonymous" comment was from us -- Bev and Family!

Joyce said...

Joel:

This sounds great! I'm so glad to know you are escaping the traps of the huge TV and the outside mask.

(I've got to make you sound as if you're a superhero somehow, no?)

Good work, and I look forward to your return.

Joyce

Anonymous said...

Joel,

Thanks be to God for your progress! Please let us know when you will be back at work. I will be sure to fly up for a business call and be one of the first to welcome you back.

Keep going!

Joe M.

Anonymous said...

Glad things are going better.
Ken Brandt