Tuesday, August 07, 2007

BMT + 3 months

It will be three months tomorrow since the first day of my BMT on May 8th. Besides the GvHD which seems to be coming under control, I am feeling pretty good. I have stopped losing weight and starting to gain again. Due to the prednisone, I have an appetite, somewhat uncontrollable. I am starting a taper of the prednisone from 90 mg every day to 40 mg on alternating days. I have little nausea and normal bowel and urinary functions.

My blood counts were all within reason today though platelets and hemoglobin are still a little low. I did not need any fluids today, but there is still a question about a possible blood infection. So for the first time since May 2, all tubes have been removed. The PICC line that was put in several weeks ago was removed so next time they will start picking me with IV needles again.

But for the first time, I don't have an appointment for a whole week. The Dr says that I can even leave town and travel to the lake cabin in another week. Possibly in a couple of weeks, I can get out in public as well. It all depends on how things improve further. I did make it to the neighborhood party this evening though wore my mask and did not shake any hands.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joel, it's so nice to hear that you are feeling better! We are so thankful for that, and hope you continue to improve, day by day.
Bev and Family

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the good news.
Glory be to God.
We keep praying that medicine and prayer will sustain you.

Anonymous said...

Joel,

We are so thankful to GOd that you are feeling better. We will continue to pray for continued recovery. It was good to be together last weekend.

Lola & Don

Anonymous said...

Hi Joel,
I keep our office updated on your progress. We have been praying for you throughout the whole process and continue to do so. Praise the Lord that you are doing so well. I pray that the results of the biopsy will be good and that you will have a relaxing time at the cabin this weekend. I'll be in touch.
Love,
Charlotte & Dave