Sunday, November 12, 2006

Two years

I knew it was close but just realized today that it has been exactly two years since I entered the hospital with a lump and labored breathing. See "The Mystery Begins", my second blog entry. The lump turned out to be an ingrown hair and the labored breathing was a pulmonary embolism, possibly 3 blood clots in my right lung. I have had at least two clots since then. With a 20% mortality rate for a blood clot, by all rights, it is a miracle that I am still here today.

So what does the future hold? A BMT has a mortality rate of 40 to 60 percent, depending on many factors. Or is that a survival rate? Is the glass half-full or half-empty? When asked this question, an engineer might say that the glass was twice a large as it needed to be. How many years of life do you or I need?

Here are some wise words from this morning's sermon by Dr. Robert H. Schuller, titled "The 10 Commandments of Thankful Living", :

"I'm seventy-eight years old and it still shocks me to say that I have never had anything happen in my life, including tragedies, near disasters, that did not turn out to be blessings in disguise. "
...
"Are you disappointed or discouraged today? Don’t turn the TV set off. Don’t close the book. Don’t walk out of the movie ... the story isn’t over yet. Give your story a happy ending. Thank God for the hope that springs eternal. Because of Jesus Christ, we know that life has no end."
...
"God will always have the last word, and it will be beautiful! Hallelujah."

With God, the glass will not become empty, but is being continually refilled. Just like when Jesus turned water into wine (John 2:1-11). "Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful meditation on life. Thank you for sharing it. MH