Saturday, November 18, 2006

Rough week

I traveled to Texas on Monday and woke up with a dry, sore throat on Tuesday. Though I could not speak very well I attended about 8 hours of the conference. The place, Gaylord Texan Resort, was so large and spread out that I had to walk too much. Tuesday night I slept for 12 hours. I attended most of the meetings but skipped the social times which would have required standing and talking. The flight back on Thursday was great. I caught an earlier flight and took a couple of Benedryl. It wasn't until evening that I got some pain in my right ear. I took some Drixoral, slept ok and went to work on Friday (yesterday). Since I had a blood test set up, I called ahead and was able to see the physician assistant as well and got an antibiotic prescription.

Last night I took the initial dose (2 x 250mg) of Azrithromycin along with another Drixoral about 5 pm, but within an hour started experiencing rapid and irregular heart beat. This was similar, but not as bad as I had in March when I went to the emergency room. We called the triage doctor on call who advised me to just rest and see it through. By 9 pm, I was feeling better, but skipped my evening Anagrelide pill which also sometimes affects my heart rate. This morning, I am just into trying to throw this infection off. Now just congestion, sinus pressure, drainage and coughing up nasty stuff.

My blood tests results were mixed again. White cell count was up to 10.9 as a result of the infection. Platelets were 422 which is good. Hgb was 9.0, meaning I am scheduled for another blood transfusion on Monday. Its a good thing I had the last transfusion before going to Texas or last nights episode would have been more difficult with any lower Hgb. The average time between transfusions has dropped to 11 days over the past month.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We will pray for recovery fom this latest infection.

Anonymous said...

What bad luck! Hope things get better soon.

Ken Brandt