Sunday, October 29, 2006

The Whole World

I got home from work a little early on Friday and watched the end of "Millionaire". The last contestant went out on a $2000 simple question about which continents the Sinai Peninsula was between (or part of). The obvious two choices were "Africa and Europe" or "Africa and Asia". The contestant chose it wrong as I would have. It actually is in Asia though part of Egypt which is part of Africa. It just didn't seem right that it (and Israel) are considered part of Asia. They are part of the Middle East or South West Asia.

Anyway, I Googled and found a web site named "Ilike2learn.com". I spent about an hour taking their quizzes on where the countries are and didn't do very well. Just think, I am nearly 60 years old with a PhD and still have so much to learn. You can never stop learning.

Last night, I fired up "Google Earth", a fantastic application. This is one program that sucks up bandwidth and taxes the dual processors of my new MacBook Pro. I can fly around the whole earth and zoom into any area composed of satellite images all stitched together. I spent a couple of hours visiting North Korea, Japan, Tonga and the UP of Michigan. I relived my honeymoon trip to Brockway Mountain Drive and Tahquamenon Falls.

As I was doing this, I thought of the song, "He's got the whole world in his hands". With Google Earth, you can start with the earth at about 3 inches in diameter and it first zooms in so that the diameter of the earth and North America fills your screen. You can give the world a spin with your mouse or zoom in at any point to see houses and cars. You have the whole world in your hand and in your control. Imagine how great a God we have that can do this with the universe and still zoom in to touch our lives.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I should try to Google Earth with my computer?
Anyway it is a good illustration of how God has the whole earth in His "hands".
Thanks brother. (My brother has always been my resource for the latest in computer and internet technology.)

Anonymous said...

i don't know why my computer won't let me go to certain websites. I tried the quiz one and I couldn't go there. but when i go into windows, I can usually get to sites that otherwise i can't. Apple is being weird.