Friday, October 20, 2006

Cycle Continues

I am still on my regular cycle of blood transfusions every two weeks, like clockwork. I had my 24th transfusion yesterday, total of 49 units of blood so far. My blood counts were hgb=8.5, wc=4.5, platelets=433 and Factor 2=23. I was surprised that my Factor 2 was up after being low last week. I don't remember eating anything much different. My stools seem to have been normal over the past week as well. It has been over a week since I had my last Procrit shot. Procrit is supposed to stimulate red blood cell production. It will be interesting to see if it has any effect on my frequency of transfusions.

I had a hard time going to work this morning, but went since I had a meeting. Both my wife and son were home from school so I took a 1/2 day vacation in the afternoon. I am getting a little depressed about working though I am fortunate to be able to do so. I feel trapped because I have to work to get the insurance and pay the bills. There has to be more to this life, even the unknown portion that I have left.

Yesterday, I received a beautiful get-well card from my niece and her family. Made my day! It had some drawings of a fox, an octopus, a tank, a volcano and a person drawn by the kids. The card said "I am the Lord who heals you" and "Praying His healing power will restore you to health soon".

My daughter, my Harvard theologian, has some deep spiritual thoughts on her Grace Freewill blog. Check it out if you haven't recently. It helps me grapple with what I am going through, expecially her recent studies on the books of Job and Kierkegaard. Maybe, I just need to be a "knight of faith" and should proceed with the BMT. Like Abraham, prepare for the worst outcome of a BMT with the faith that God will heal me through the process.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you could take the half day of vacation to be with your family. I know it must be difficult to keep on going to work with everything else that is going on. As I have said before, you are a real "profile in courage" to be dealing with this the way that you are. M. Harter

Anonymous said...

I am impressed with your courage.

Ken Brandt