Thursday, October 26, 2006

Blood History


I thought I would do something different this week, otherwise it has been typical. I keep a medical history log in a spreadsheet. So far I have 192 entries starting six years ago. My records are sparse for the first four years with 17 entries up to October 19, 2004 when my orthopedist scheduled me for knee surgery (see my first blog entry). I actually started the log in early 2005 by reconstructing the history to that point. About six months ago when the doctor started experimenting with different medicines, I started a chart showing how my hemoglobin and platelet count varied with the changes in medication.

If you click on the graph shown here you can see a larger version. The date scale is not linear though pretty consistent with one entry per week over the last three months. Note that the top red line is my hemoglobin and the dark blue line is the platelet count (scale on left). The vertical bars are infusions with the red bars being my blood transfusions. The other lines are pills or shots. If anyone is actually interested in the details of the medications, just post a comment asking for more info.

So what does this show? In June 2005, I was hospitalized with a bad infection and high fever after getting a pneumonia vaccination. Before that my Hgb was steady around 10 and and my platelets were normal count around 400. Then my platelets started up and doctor prescribed Hydrea. But the side effects caused me to switch to the Anagrelide (yellow) that I have been on ever since. The brown line is my Coumadin level which is varied to keep my Factor 2 between 15 and 25. That controls my blood clotting which is also affected some by the platelets. All the other medicines are attempts to control my hemoglobin and red cell count.

It will be interesting to see if stopping the Procrit will have any effect on my Hgb and frequency of blood transfusions. Over the last month, my Hgb has been inching down based on my regularity of getting my blood tests on either Tuesday or Wednesday. With my Hgb of 9.4 on Tuesday this week, I will probably go in for my blood test on Monday next week. One of these weeks, I have to get an extra unit of blood to get me through the week of November 13 when I plan to be in Dallas. Maybe I can get blood earlier next week (Nov 1) and then again the following week (Nov 10) when I also have my next doctor appointment. That should put my Hgb over 10 for the trip.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is typical of engineers like us to want to graph and chart data to to see trnds and better interpret things. You are to be thanked for your work on this. I am sure this will help your doctors and other patients with similar symptoms.