Thursday, May 26, 2011

PowerPort Implanted

I was in for out-patient surgery today and had a Bard PowerPort implanted in my right chest.  As I mentioned in previous post, the PICC line I had was too much trouble to maintain for the 6 months that I will need chemo.  My wife drove me to the hospital where they started about 8 AM in an outpatient room with all the vital tests to prove I could continue.  At 9 AM, they moved me into an operating room where they prepared me for the surgery.  Interestingly, they transferred me from the gurney to the operating table using a hover pad, an air mattress with many holes in the bottom.  They inflated it with air and just floated me from one to the other.

The procedure went well though I don't remember much since I was sedated.  I now have an incision about 2 inches where they placed the port with catheter under the skin and a little incision about 4 inches higher where they inserted the catheter into my right jugular vein,  No stitches - all held together with superglue.  The catheter continues over to my left where it ends in my superior vena cava, just like the PICC line did. The port is a duo version so that it can support two needles at once and will be used for all future blood draws or any infusions included the chemotherapy.  My first use will be blood tests again on May 31 with chemo planned for June 3.  There is nothing that I need to do at home to maintain it.

I was back to my out-patient room by 11 AM, had some lunch and my son picked me up at 12:30 PM.  Home now and feeling good.  Just bothered a bit by dry eyes, a little blurry vision and my first eye floater in about a year.  Hope that clears up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Joel - I'm so glad the procedure to put the PowerPort in place went well, and that you are home now. You are in our thoughts and prayers, and we're just glad to know that you are home and doing well!
Bev, Bob, Steve, and Liz