Monday, February 12, 2007

Victorious Engineer

Before I explain the title of this blog, my Hgb was 9.1 today and I will have transfusion #35 and my 71st unit of blood tomorrow afternoon. When I went in for my blood test today, I really thought my hgb would be lower since I felt more winded than usual and have been having frequent headaches, another symptom of low oxygen levels.

Last week, I saw a TV commercial that stated that elevated CO levels cause the same symptoms and that CO detectors become less effective with age. Ours was over 6 years old and should be replaced every 5 years. Since temperatures here were below zero for a whole week, our furnace had also been working overtime. I bought 2 new CO detectors, one with a digital display. The display has been reading zero every day downstairs near the furnace. The other unit is upstairs near our bedrooms.

Back to the title, I received a personal invitation to the "The Congress on the Future of Engineering Software" last week and approval from my employer to attend. The conference is on April 12-15, within about 2 weeks of my planned BMT. Doctor says it is OK for me to travel out to Scottsdale, AZ which is also near a branch of Mayo Clinic. Anyway, I appreciate the vote of confidence from my employer as well as my family and the doctor. I have something to contribute to this conference and to gain for use after my recovery from the BMT.

I AM getting there on the title. One of the principals in the conference is a very talented journalist named Joel Orr. A good first name, don't you think. Well, back in 1999, I received a book written by him as a gift after hints to my wife. Remembering the book, I went to my bookcase. There it was, "The Victorious Engineer". Not a coincidence, but a "Godincidence" which I consider further support for my decision to move ahead. I will be victorious over this disease as Christ was over death.

In reviewing the book again, I could quote positive encouraging statements from almost every page. For example, on the title page:

"A man who wins may have been counted out several times, but he did not hear the referee." H.E. Jansen

In the preface, "Of all human types, the engineer is one of the most God-like. Engineers design and make things of all kinds."

On the back page, Joel Orr states, "But all that comes to me is a quiet bubbling thankfulness ... and to God for giving me this wonderful life." He ends with "The Lord bless thee and keep thee; the Lord make His face shine upon thee; the Lord lift up His countenance upon thee and give thee peace."

After reading one of his articles years ago, I sent him an email asking him if he was a Christian. To paraphrase his answer since I don't have the exact words of his reply:

"If I am ever indicted for being a Christian, may there be enough evidence to convict me."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the analogy of the Victorious Engineer and your planned BMT. We pray that it will be truly victorious for you!! You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Your little sister

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on being selected to attend the conference. Maintaining your high performance in your profession improves chances for a successful recovery from the BMT.

Ken Brandt

Anonymous said...

I never heard of that book.
Sounds intersting. Thanks for your comments. I will hav to get a copy.