Thursday, April 23, 2009

Diabetes?

Just when I start feeling better, something new comes up. This time it is my glucose level, 274 mg/dL last week though even higher at 335 before that. 60 to 99 is considered normal. So next week I have an appointment with the Diabetes Clinic to get that checked out further.

On the plus side, my liver functions seem to be improving. My alkaline phosphatase is down to 161 U/L from a high of 587 in February. ALT (47) and AST (77) are essentially normal.

I have another phlebotomy today (Thursday) and will be interested in what my hematocrit will be. This is the 6th week in a row and my hematocrit has been dropping each time. Last week it was down to 41.4%, I felt light-headed afterward and had to wait about 30 minutes before leaving the clinic. It was 45.6 a month ago and 38 is the lower limit for proceeding with the phlebotomy. I may have to skip a week sometime to let my red blood cell count recover.

I am proceeding with further taper on the prednisone and am on hold for the Fluconazole. I have been on Fluconazole for fungal infections since back in 2007. I was off it for a few months last Fall before I had the bad bout of diarrhea. Not sure how that is related.

The Dr thought I could probably go back to work until I reminded him that this is the third cycle that I have reduced my prednisone and I am still not to the level I was at in Novemeber when everything went crazy. He agreed that we probably have a few more months to go before knowing what the minimum level I need. I was down to 2.5mg every other day and am still alternating between 15 and 20mg each day now.

Anyway, your prayers are appreciated as I weather the new complications.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Lots of things to deal with.

You are in our prayers.

Ken Brandt