Friday, June 20, 2008

Knee Surgery

Sorry but it has a month since I last posted.  This is indicative of the fact that I am feeling good and not dwelling on my MPD which now really affects my life very little.  I just have to remember to take all my medicines and try to avoid any infectious situations due to my compromised immune system.  I had a Dr appt on Tuesday where he said I can consider going back to work, probably part-time at first.  I have a phlebotomy every two weeks to reduce my iron levels and an INR test every 2 - 4 weeks to check my blood clotting.  My blood counts are improving with the platelets now up to 107.

I may never have knee surgery due to my history of blood clots, but my wife has beat me to it.  I write this while she is in surgery for a right knee replacement.  She is getting it done over the Summer so she can recover to teach school in the Fall.  I will post status on her recovery.

We spent 4 nights over last weekend at a resort in Bemidji.  The week before we spent 3 days in Boston (Cambridge) for my daughter's graduation from Harvard.  She has now moved back to MN and I helped her move into an apartment yesterday.  It has been a little hectic around the house with all her stuff and her 2 cats dueling with our two cats.  My son is home from college for the Summer as well, though he is still enrolled in a chemistry class.  Somehow, he manages to get to that 8am class, four days a week.

Sadly, my mother-in-law died on May 24th.  The funeral was at our church on May 28th after which we drove to Decorah, IA for the burial service. My father-in-law died 30 years ago and they are buried in the cemetery of his last parish.  She lived near us for the last 14 years.  It is sad to think of her leaving us after having such as gusto for life during her 94 years.  It is now a big effort to deal with the estate and all of her collections of dishes, dolls and furniture.

No comments: